Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank

The Last Original WifeThe Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Where do I start with this one? I loved Frank's book, Folly Beach, and I liked Plantation. I was okay with Porch Lights, but this one was so obnoxious. Are we supposed to feel one bit of "like" for Leslie? I understand Wes is no picnic and a jerk, but Leslie's sense of entitlement is sickening. I guess it might just be me. I work for a living and don't understand when people believe that money that someone else makes is theirs. YES, I am married and my husband and I share everything, but I would be mortified if I had to ask him for money especially for trivial things.

Leslie boo hoos about what she doesn't have and that she has had to scrimp and save...please. I don't know anyone who has a housekeeper that has to "clip coupons." Then she proceeds (spoiler alert) to demand half of Wesley's money that he worked for. I understand that half is the spouse's under the law, but good Lord, Leslie has no self respect. If she wanted money to do God knows what, then she could have at the very least gotten a part time job. I know she claimed Wesley didn't "want" her to work, but if she wanted to badly enough she would have. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

I really do hate that entitlement attitude. Also, for her to say a few times that she didn't want a divorce but wanted to run amok was another sticking point to me. Quite honestly, ALL the characters were annoying. I can't think of one redeeming quality in any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment