Thursday, December 14, 2023

This Disaster Loves You by Richard Roper



Richard Roper is one of my automatic read authors. He could copy the phone book and I would read it. 

In This Disaster Loves You, we meet Brian and Lilly. It's a nice typical love story, except that Brian never feels as though he deserves Lily and battles not only that insecurity,  but also the disapproval of her father. However, love reigns and they marry. What follows are the ups and downs in marriage, but then one horribly sad thing occurs and neither one are equipped mentally to lean on each other for support, resulting in hidden resentment and grief that is shouldered alone. 

We know in the beginning that Lily is gone but we don't know why or where she has gone. The reader is left wanting to turn pages to find out what has happened to her but also for me, to cheer Brian on in both learning where she has gone and maybe also in moving on, if need be. 

For me, Lily wasn't good enough for Brian. She never seemed capable of showing him a fraction of the love he had for her all through the story. This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the story, I absolutely did. I was totally vested in finding out what happened and the author did not disappoint. I am so glad I got a chance to read this ahead of it's release in February 2024.  Thank you to NetGalley for this opportunity. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment