Friday, July 12, 2013

Hoda- How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer and Kathie Lee by Hoda Kotb



I am about to make a stunning confession.  I don't watch the Today Show. Not because I don't want to, but I am at work by then, so I miss it. I know I am probably the only person who doesn't DVR it if they don't see it live. Now, pick yourself off the floor and read on! 

While on vacation in Rehoboth Beach, I saw a sign in the local bookstore, Browseabout Books, announcing that Hoda Kotb would be doing a book signing. Even though I don't watch Today, I still know who Hoda is. Who doesn't?  

 By the way, I love Browseabout Books. Check them out if you are in the Rehoboth Beach area or their website at www.browseaboutbooks.com

So, on July 5, I met up with my mom and we headed up to the bookstore. While I don't usually buy books full price (I am a library/Amazon.com kind of girl-gasp!), I love buying things at local businesses.  I bought a copy of both of Ms. Kotb's books and we got in line to have them signed. 

What a turn out! Ms. Kotb has so many fans and when we got around to where we could see her interacting with them, she was so gracious and funny. We got both books signed and had a great time. Here's a picture of me, my mom and Ms. Kotb: 


So, now about the book. I read it in two days. I know I had the time to do it by being on vacation but still, I was hooked. The book was very entertaining and humorous but also very moving in certain parts, like when Ms. Kotb shares her experience with her battle with breast cancer.

 She pulls no punches discussing it and even shares some pictures of her while she was in the hospital. And I dare you not to be moved when reading the part where Ms. Kotb discusses her experience of being in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. 

But, I also dare you not to laugh out loud during the book, too. I did!

Reading this book went by too quickly for me. I usually don't read biographies or memoirs, but I can truly say that this was a book I was actually sorry when I finished it. I wanted more!  Pick it up and see for yourself. I am a new fan of Ms. Kotb's and wish her the best. Follow her on Twitter @hodakotb. 

Thanks for reading! 




1 comment: