Saturday, January 12, 2019

Bethlehem by Karen Kelly




Calling all historical fiction fans! You're going to love this one! Unfortunately, unless you have an advance copy, you're going to have to wait until July.  

This is a "time slip" novel, going back and forth between generations and their trials and tribulations. 

Joanna marries into the prestigious Parrish family and has problems adapting to her new opulent surroundings after having a more humble upbringing.  She spends most of her time with her two children, her mother in law, Susannah and husband's grandmother, Helen. Joanna's husband, Frank, spends endless hours working at Bethlehem Steel.

The story switches from Joanna's new life, to Susannah's history and her life with her brother, Kit, sister India and family friends Wyatt and Chap. Wyatt and Chap are from the Collier family. Their father, Charles, Sr., works closely with Susannah's father, Hollins and the two families are forever connected both in love and in tragedy. 

 While Joanna has issues living in grandeur, and at first believes she will never connect with her mother in law or her husband's grandmother, she learns that  sometimes the people who we relate to are the ones we least expect. And,  Susannah also finds that forging a relationship with Joanna might be her saving grace. 

I loved this story. For one reason, I like historical books, especially when there are things in there that interest me enough to do a little more research. For example, there is a reference to an old time band in the book and I found out they were, in fact, a real band back in the times of Susannah's youth. 

Also, (and bear with this personal tidbit) last year, I went to a concert at the Sands Resort in Bethlehem, PA. It is situated directly next to the now defunct Bethlehem Steel Plant, mentioned numerous times in this book. While there, I found looking at the plant fascinating, but also kind of sad. It's sad seeing such a once powerful factory closed. 

When I read, I automatically imagine what I am reading. This book made it really easy to do. Also, sometimes, when I am reading something I don't enjoy so much, I look at the remainder left and I am sometimes discouraged when I see so much left when I don't think there's all that much left to say. 

However, with this one, I was shocked when I would look down at the remainder of this one and was upset when I saw I was almost finished (lol)! I wanted this story to go on longer! 

This was one of my favorites in awhile! Thank you so much to the publisher for this opportunity.  I really enjoyed it and think it will do very well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment