Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Couple on Cedar Close by Anna-Lou Weatherley



Laurie and Robert are beautiful couple, but when they move to Cedar Close (which I believe is a dead end street in British speak), it is evident something is off with Laurie. 

The story opens with a neighborhood barbecue and Laurie finds out something that she didn't want to about her husband. The whole neighborhood is then privy to their fight and what has occurred. 


Three months later, Laurie is in a grocery store planning a dinner for Robert. However, later that same day, Robert is found brutally murdered in the house. Laurie has no recollection of what happened, but she is immediately the main suspect, especially when information about their volatile relationship surfaces.

Laurie's best friend, who lives across from her, jumps into action to help her friend and we're off and thrown into a story filled with lies, deceit, affairs, psychological abuse and pathological behavior.  I won't give too much away here. 

The detective in the case, Riley, is a good character and I learned while reading this, this is his second appearance in a book by this author. He's definitely one of the good guys and you want him to get a win that he is so desperately due for. 

My two cents: 
I was very excited to read this advance copy I requested from NetGalley. I thought it sounded like it had great promise. The story was well written, fast paced and I read it very quickly. Now, there were some aspects in backstories of certain characters that unsettled me, but to each their own. Also, while this was a crime/domestic abuse story, for me (and again this is just me) there really was no big mystery.  I just felt that it was made very obvious what was going on very early, when it seemed like that wasn't the author's original intention. 

This was an entertaining enough story and I appreciate the copy from NetGalley. All opinions are my own. Releases January this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment